Friday, October 10, 2008

The Spider

There I was, in my car, leaving the ranch. He opens the gate so that I can pull through and comes up to the window for one last kiss goodbye.

As he is giving me directions on how to get home, a small green spider comes down from the tree above him and lands on my shirt sleeve. My eyes get wide and I stop listening to anything he is saying.

*slightly high pitched with just a tinge of panic* "It's a spider, and it's on my shirt...!"

He goes to grab it. It jumps into my lap and disappears onto the seat between my legs.

He can't see it. "Where'd it go?"

*a little more high pitched and practically full panic mode* "I DON'T KNOW!!"
(as I unbuckle my seat belt and frantically remove myself from danger and into the passenger seat)

"You're still in gear!! Put it in park; put it in PARK!!"

He sees the spider now and tries to catch it with his bare hands, failing each time. He finally asks for a piece of paper. After a minute or so of trying to persuade the spider that it, in fact, would be a good idea for it to actually walk on to the paper instead of away from it, the spider complies.

He removes the spider from my car and places him back into the tree where he belongs.

I slide back into my seat and rebuckle my seat belt, completely embarrassed.

He is my hero.

No comments: