Friday, November 14, 2008

Thursday.

Today is Thursday.

We have a standing playdate invitation with My Best Mommy Friend and her daughter, The Baby's Best Friend, for every Thursday that the timing is right. We go over to My Best Mommy Friend and The Baby's Best Friend's for dinner and playtime. It's lots of fun!

Today, however, was just one of those days. You know the days I'm talking about. The one where everything goes wrong? Yeah, it was one of those days for My Best Mommy Friend, too.

I offered to run by the store on the way to her place. It takes about as long to get to her place as it does to get to mine. On a good day, I can leave work around 5 and get home by 6. My Best Mommy Friend called me on my cell phone at 5:30 to see whether it would be easier for me to go by the store or her. I was still at work. She went to the store.

I finally left work around 6. It was already dark and I nearly missed my turn for the daycare because I had never gone there after dark before.

I decided against taking the highway to get to My Best Mommy Friend's. So, we're on a residential street turning on to a slightly busier street with a green arrow. I felt something on my hand. Since it was already dark and I couldn't see and didn't want to look down as I was about to turn, I lifted my hand towards my face. What do you think I found?

A Spider.

I freaked, swatted it and lost it. The car swerved and The Baby squealed. "The car scare' me Momma!"

At the next red light, I unbuckled my seat belt, turned on the over head light and looked for it. I couldn't find it anywhere. What a nice way to start my 30 minute trip across town.

A few minutes later, The Baby began to sing 'The Itsy, Bitsy Spider.' It took all I had not to giggle hysterically at the irony.

_ _ _

We made it to My Best Mommy Friend's without any further 'surprises'. She had already started dinner, chicken Parmesan using make-shift bowls and cookie sheets made out of tin foil to go in the oven. (She hasn't lived there long and has not had a chance to acquire a full set of pots and pans.)

The chicken she bought turned out to be thicker than she wanted and the crust was nearly burnt by the time the chicken was cooked all the way through. I think it turned out really well. She was able to cut smaller pieces for the girls so that theirs weren't burnt.

By the time dinner was ready, My Best Mommy Friend had already spilled water on her pants, burnt her hand on a pan and splattered tomato sauce on the floor. It was an interesting ordeal.

We got the girls' food together and set them down at the table. At one point The Baby decided that she wanted to sit on the floor and eat her food our of her chair. Then The Baby's Best Friend wanted to do the same. Which resulted in The Baby's Best Friend plate being knocked to the floor and splattered all over the carpet. I quickly fed The Baby the rest of her dinner and we stuck the girls in the bath.

With both My Best Mommy Friend and myself exhausted, we read them a bedtime story and The Baby's Best Friend went to bed. Well, that would be the simple way to say it. Actually she avoided going to bed and made everything leading up to lying down to go to sleep long and drawn out. I'm pretty sure she was still awake when we took our leave.

When we got home, I had The Baby go potty (I am proud to say I have not changed a poopy diaper in weeks), brush her teeth, put on her jammies and give her PaPa a hug night night. We then snuggled for a night time story and some sleepy time songs. She laid down and has not been up since.

I should have gone to sleep long since.

No comments: