Monday, September 17, 2007

Southern Comfort.... if only it was like that...

So, I need to give you the background on a bottle of untasted by me Southern Comfort that has been waiting for me for over a year:

I turned 21 in July of '06.

I had my baby shower July 29th of '06.

One of my favorite guys in the world came to my baby shower, but instead of a baby gift, he brought me a birthday gift! A bottle of Southern Comfort. I've never had Southern Comfort and by the time that I was actually able to drink, I had put it somewhere and forgotten about it.

I mentioned it to The Guy one time and you could practically see his ears perk up at the mention of alcohol in my possession. (He was quite the drunk when I first met him, although I haven't seen him drunk since.) He immediately asked me if I knew where it was. I told him that it was in the cupboard because i had found it on my desk in my room and had decided that is probably wasn't a good idea to keep alcohol where the baby can find it. He mentioned that he had noticed it in my room.

So, we've periodically joked about how long it had been since I had had a drink, and he would always mention that I did have that Southern Comfort just sitting around, but I still never took it out of the cupboard.

Well, last month sometime, I had him come over and watch Eva during her nap so that I could go get some stuff done and register for school and whatnot. I was gone for maybe a half an hour.

Sometime last week I opened that cupboard looking for the Febreeze and guess what I found. Yep. A half-EMPTY bottle of Southern Comfort and a shot glass that used to be in a different cupboard.

I actually asked my dad if he had had any of it so that I could be sure that I wasn't falsely accusing The Guy of something he may not have done. I wouldn't have been mad cause my dad didn't know that it was mine, or anything about why it was there, but my dad tells me that he doesn't even like Southern Comfort and had been wondering where it had come from.

Today I thought, "It's going to happen eventually, confront him now before you forget and it's a moot point."

So, I left him a not-so-nice message on his voice mail....

I think it went a little something like this: "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THIS!! I CAN'T TRUST YOU ALONE IN MY HOUSE FOR EVEN A HALF AN HOUR?!?!? YOU ARE GOING TO BUY ME ANOTHER BOTTLE!!!!"

You know, short and to the point. I'm proud that I didn't even feel the need to use profanity.

Well, he couldn't even 'face' me about it over the phone, but he did send me an e-mail and he seems really sincere in his apology. Say's he really feels like shit and felt like shit as soon as he did it. His exact words: "I'm really sorry about the bottle. I really feel like shit about it. I felt like shit about it since the minute i did it. I'll buy you a new one. I know that doesn't make up for it." Yeah, it's not really about the bottle. It's a trust issue now. I just keep wondering what else is he too afraid to admit to me?

*sigh*

We've got a lot of stuff to work through if we're going to be able to play nice as parents... : /

No comments: